Update: Video of March in Beavercreek, Ohio
Join us at Freedom City starting on September 22nd! Everyday during the grand jury trial, we will have activities outside the courthouse as we continue to demand justice for John Crawford and his family.
Register Here! http://www.ohiostudentassociation.org/johncrawford
The list of events include:
The Freedom Walk
- An 11 mile journey from the Beavercreek Walmart where John Crawford was killed by police officers to the courthouse in Xenia where the grand jury will be held. The walk will begin at 10am at the Beavercreek Walmart. More details once you sign up.
Rally for John Crawford
- The rally will begin at 2:30pm. We will be marching to Xenia courthouse and occupying the courthouse grounds. More details once you sign up.
Workshops and Demonstrations
- We will be hosting demonstrations and workshops to create a space for collective learning and visioning outside the courthouse from 3:30pm - 6:30pm. More details once you sign up.
- We will be hosting a mass meetings in Xenia at 7:00pm each night to recap the events of the day and plan for the next day of action until the grand jury returns with their decision.
BACKGROUND on the John Crawford Case
“I saw my son get murdered by the police. It was worse than Ferguson.”
That is what John Crawford’s father said after he was allowed to see six minutes of footage from the Beavercreek Walmart where police gunned down his son on August 5. John Crawford was shopping in the Walmart and was holding a toy airsoft rifle when another shopper called the police and described a “Black male about 6 feet tall” waving a gun.
On Sep 22nd a grand jury will review evidence to determine if there is enough probable cause to indict the officers who killed John Crawford. The Ohio Student Association is organizing a pilgrimage to leave from the Beavercreek Walmart and walk 11.5 miles through the back roads of Greene County to the courthouse in Xenia, OH where the grand jury will be meeting.
The grand jury proceedings will likely conclude within 1-3 days, and we will be staying in Greene County until the jury returns with a decision. While we are staying in Greene County we will take part in workshops and trainings to learn from each other, and make time to strategize and vision together.
With this action we hope to accomplish three goals:
1) Bring national attention and pressure to Greene County, letting them know that the whole country is watching, and the whole country wants justice for John Crawford.
2) Bring together youth organizers who have been activated by the recent string of police killings, especially young people of color, to learn from each other and strategize and vision together.
3) Create a situation that demands the attention and action of the Federal Government because John Crawford's family wants Eric Holder and the Department of Justice to takeover the case from the Ohio Attorney General.
Visit the event facebook page